Monday, February 22, 2010

28: 06: 42: 12

Bloggatrons!

It's Donnie Darko time! I know it's a little weird to be thrown in the mix of LFW but I can't get this movie off my mind lately. Also, I came across a three year old blog dedicated to pictures from the movie Beetlejuice so I am most definitely allowed to indulge in my DARKo (Ho! Ho!) moment. I know what you're thinking; three years of pictures uploaded every day or so of Beetlejuice? Surely there can't be enough stills from the movie? You're right, there aren't.

Soooo Darko! I saw it for the first time two weeks ago with lobster- I know all the hardcore movie buffs are like What? But sadly it's true. I don't know how it happens, I still haven't fully sat through Lost in Translation, The Lord of the Rings(any of them) or Slumdog Millionaire and I have a feeling the same will be said about Avatar in a years time. I think the hype puts me off. And maybe the pressure of having to like the movie? Or maybe I'm just lazy? Either way it doesn't matter.
Donnie Darko was so good, it surpassed whatever expectations I had- which I think was none whatsoever. The characters were quirky with the likes of the overtly sexual Karen Pomeroy (Barrymore); "Sit beside the boy you think is the cutest" and Swayze aka the positive thinking cunningham; "Is that all the gusta you can musta?"!

Jake and Maggie G's characters; Donnie and Elizabeth were definitly my favs. Mainly because they were both uber-smart and hot. I loved Elizabeth's understatedly cool style and how she pronounced "Dukakis", and actually I loved the whole subject of "I'm voting for Dukakis." Donnie's rant on the asexual smurfs and how a gang bang scenario with a smurfette could never happen is a definite high point in the movie, along with his skeleton tracksuit! Without these two characters Darko movie would be at a loss without quotes like these;

Donnie: You are such a fuckass.
Elizabeth: Did you just call me a fuckass? You can go suck a fuck.
Donnie: Oh, please, tell me Elizabeth, how exactly does one suck a fuck?

Apparently it wasn't a box office hit which I kinda understand. Don't think it's your natural hollywood hit filled with beautiful people and an equally beautiful ending but thats what makes it so good. It's dark, brilliantly written (I will be stealing quotes from it for a very long time), the cast is filled with hollywood outcasts, Frank the rabbit is freaky but not hugely threatening at the same time and the ending will leave you sitting there like EH? How could it end like that? And THEN you'll be like; Well how could it not end like that? Oh the monsta is deep.

Enjoy!










This is Grandma Death, she walks back and forth to her mailbox waiting for a letter which never arrives. Her hair is pretty brilliant. Inspiration!



Bloggamonsta xxx

2 comments:

  1. rear a post about that movie...lovely evrything

    post me back:
    http://thepinktinyelephant.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete